The Child Abuse Division is responsible for the prosecution of the following criminal offenses:
- Capital Murder of Children under the age of 10;
- Injury to a Child under the age of 7;
- Aggravated Sexual Assault of a child under the age of 14;
- Indecency with a Child under the age of 14;
- The sexual abuse of children by someone in a position of power i.e., teachers, preachers, coaches;
- Improper Student-Teacher Relationship, and
- Violation of Civil Commitment Orders by Sexually Violent Predators.
The Child Abuse Division consists of 13 prosecutors, 10 investigators, 5 support staff and a therapy dog. The Child Abuse Division works closely with victims and their families, law enforcement, the Dallas Children’s Advocacy Center, Children’s Medical Center, Child Protective Services, therapists, and many other agencies to ensure that justice is served.